Friday, October 02, 2009

Brief Political Aside

A number of friends chided me this week for wondering aloud how the Olympics decision might undermine the entire central premise of the Obama theory of foreign policy. My friends assured me that Obama would never put the prestige of his office (not merely the presidency but his personage) on the line unless he had a prior guarantee that the decision had already been made to move forward with Chicago.

In any event, I await Jimmy Carter's indictment of the IOC for their opposition to President Obama's plan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A well-informed friend in the Olympic consulting business tells me it would have been impossible for there to be a "deal" for the Olympics. According to my friend, the IOC members are notoriously mercurial, often not that bright, and in no way capable of being herded. Bribed yes, herded, no.

Of course, this is all the more reason for the President to stay home - why waste your time with such folks?

TubbyLover69 said...

More seriously, isn't this a vindication of Zakaria's thesis? I mean, America's most over-rated city just couldn't compete with the world's most over-rated city ...