Monday, December 06, 2004

Out of Control

I'm sure my fellow Galley Slaves really appreciate my hijacking this forum and turning it into a U2-fest, but as they are both occupied at the moment, I'll throw in one additional entry on my previous subject and try to restrain myself from further comment.

GS friend CSG recently took on my naming (in my humble opinion) the top three U2 albums of all time: The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and All That You Can't Leave Behind. CSG prefers War, Unforgettable Fire, and Boy, all of which I agree are indispensable. Indeed, if you were to ask me one of favorite U2 songs ever, I would say "Bad" (though I do prefer that eight-minute version on Wide Awake in America). I tend to think less of War because I suffer from "Sunday Bloody Sunday" fatigue. I don't think I have the strength to hear that anthem again. Regardless, I respect CSG's picks and assure him I haven't suffered from dementia lately. But you just can't ignore The Joshua Tree.

Yes, the songs had mass appeal and penetrated the mainstream Top 40, but just because everyone else loves them doesn't mean you should stop loving them.

A few final thoughts: Bono recently rediscovered the missing lyrics he had penned while in the U.S. back in the early 1980s. The lyrics were suppose to be the basis of the album after Boy. Instead, he had to start from scratch and came up with the less satisfying October. Can we hope that the band will finally turn these scribbled notes into an album of sorts? I know I'd buy it.

And secondly, for fans of the Boy album, have you noticed in recent years that U2 has been playing some of those old songs in concert again, such as "I Will Follow"? In their recent New York performance by the Brooklyn Bridge last month, a fan who was there tells me they even played "Out of Control." Others have heard them play "11 o'clock tick tock" and "Party Girl." Be on the lookout for more old-school favorites in next year's tour.

No comments: