Monday, February 15, 2010

Stagecraft as Soulcraft

I'm a sucker for the Olympics. The pageantry, the hypocrisy, the ridiculousness. I'll take the whole thing. Even the opening ceremonies. This year's opening was, for my money, about as good as it gets. Here's the relevant video. Just fast-forward to about the 7:00 mark.

The arena floor is basically functioning as a giant IMAX screen being projected upon (I think) from below. Yeah. Check out the whales (around the 9:00 mark). Insane. This is 9th Wonder of the World stuff.

1 comment:

Sonny Bunch said...

I'm sorry, but the look on Wayne Gretzky's face as he's waiting for that fourth pylon to go up is the greatest ever. A combination of "I'm freezing/I'm Wayne effing Gretzky/the Americans are going to make so much fun of us." Just loved it.