Tuesday, June 05, 2007

"You're only hurting yourself, baby."

I'll always think of Clueless when I see Jeremy Sisto, but I'm kind of thrilled by his hiring for Law & Order, not least of which because I kind of liked Kidnapped (Ricky Jay on primetime network TV!) and was bummed that it got yanked so quickly.

Sisto will replace Milena Govich, the under-written WWE diva/detective from last season, whose character was the least interesting cop ever to appear on the show. I include here John Fiore's Detective Tony Profaci.

The real question is what happens to Jack McCoy. One of these days I'm going to get around to arguing that Sam Waterston's work with him is the finest example of sustained character work in the history of television. He never mails it in; he's always finding interesting angles; he gives all sorts of generous room to the actors around him onscreen; and somehow, after 13 years, he has never become a caricature. What a stud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you about Sisto .... but completely disagree about Profaci!! I thought he was a very interesting character and one of my favorites on the show. I feel his character was not utilized enough....wish they would have brought him back.

Anonymous said...

Profaci was the key to the original incarnation of the series. When they made him the fall guy in the TV movie to bring Chris Noth back from Staten Island...tragedy.

Steve the LLamabutcher

Anonymous said...

Word on the street is that Waterston will be promoted to DA to replace Fred Thompson.

Anonymous said...

Which of course is the point of the linked article, which I obviously should have clicked on.