Thursday, March 13, 2008

Harry Potter News

Variety reports that WB is going to split Deathly Hallows into two movies, released six months apart. David Yates, who directed Order of the Phoenix and the upcoming Half-Blood Prince will direct the final two films as well.

Which is a little strange. Not quite clear why WB would hop from director to director for the first half of the series and then settle on one guy for the final half. OotP was a nice movie, but it wasn't so transcendent that it made Yates look like the only guy on the planet who could grasp the material.

3 comments:

Jacob said...

I think that OotP was definitely the best movie. Plus (caveat about the plural of anacdote not being data) I had friends who hated PoA, friends who liked it; friend who disliked GoF, friends who loved it... but the one constant is that people liked–loved OotP. Now that they're finally struck a good thing, why not stick with him?

Anonymous said...

Allow me to be the fly int he ointment. I find OotP barely watchable. My emotional attachment to the material, as I have shared with JVL, has been too strong to accept the abridged Trailers for the books the last two movies have become. My opinion is that the final two films instead of ending the series brilliantly will expose the missed setups from movies four through six. Yates may be the right guy to helm the final three films. I am agnostic on that point. My primary worry is that Michael Gambon will continue to ruin Dumbledore, which is the real crime of the films, and why I like PoA. Gambon was fairly good and Alfonso did a better job than Chris Columbus.

Anonymous said...

I think its great that theyre splitting the deathly hallows because there is soo much stuff in the book. cause the OotP was rubbish cause they took soo much out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!