Thursday, June 26, 2008

Who knew that owning the rights to Strawberry Shortcake would be such a big deal? As the Los Angeles Times reports, Miss Shortcake belongs to DIC Entertainment Holdings, Inc., which intended to be sold to the Cookie Jar Group of Toronto for approximately $31 million. But DIC's licensing partner American Greetings actually owns the rights to Shortcake and everyone else living in Strawberry Land and found a judge to issue a temporary restraining order and prevent DIC from being bought by Cookie Jar.

I thought Strawberry Shortcake went the way of My Little Pony, He-Man, and Inspector Gadget. Not so, reports the Times:

"In the last four years, according to DIC, Strawberry Shortcake has generated nearly $3 billion in retail sales."

Well, at least we know what Strawberry Shortcake does for DIC.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Well, at least we know what Strawberry Shortcake does for DIC."

Really inappropriate, Matus

Anonymous said...

I love it!

I actually saw He-Man DVD's in Target the other day. My kids had no clue.

Anonymous said...

I've got news for you, li'l darlin': My Little Pony is still around, too.

Jerky said...

hey cuz... didn't know you were here.