Monday, October 25, 2004

Celebrity Skin

In case you missed it, this weekend was the best celebrity melt-down moment in many moons. Ashlee Simpson was clearly lip-synching during her appearance on Saturday Night Live. She got away with it during her first number, but when she came onstage for the second time, and began hopping around, the music track from the first song came back on. He voice was broadcast. She looked horrified. Her band looked dumbstruck. She hopped a couple more times, and then walked off the stage. Read the Daily News' account here, or, if you have a couple minutes to kill, check out the video.

There's nothing too exceptional yet, though. We all remember Milli Vanilli. Sure, there's an extra pop of satisfaction since Ashlee Simpson is a product of nepotism and didn't even have to whore her way to fame like Madonna. I mean, celebrity may come cheap in today's America, but it shouldn't be free.

No, the super-duper cherry on top to this story is that after getting caught lip-synching on national television, Simpson "apologized to her fans--and blamed her band for playing the wrong song." That's right: She tried to pin her implosion on the minimum-wage Abercrombie models who pretend to play back-up for her. A classy broad, that Ashlee. Or maybe she's a classy grrrl. I don't know.

But wait! There's more! Not that you'd be caught dead there, but I've taken the trouble of trawling the message boards at AshleeSimpson.com for you. There are the normal, idiotic support posts, like Don't Listen To Them Ashlee!!!, where "TeamAshlee2004" says, "You are a Beautiful person Ashlee!! Don't give in to their negative comments. Believe in yourself. Believe in your inner strength. God is on your side. He believes in you. I know there's nothing you can't do. Your real fans will always be with you." And This Post Is For Ashlee's Real Fans, which is also by TeamAshlee2004. In case you were wondering, TeamAshlee20004 claims to be Joshua Ortiz, a 19-year-old New Yorker, who says in his AshleeSimpson.com profile, "I'm 19 Years Old and I'm currently living in Brooklyn N.Y. Ashlee Simpson has changed my life . . . She has shown me that its ok to be yourself and to not worry about what other people think, And if you believe in your dreams and know that you can achieve them there's nothing you can't do." Young Joshua seems to be responsible for most of the pro-Ashlee posts since her SNL meltdown. She must be very special to him.

But most of the posts are awfully mean to Ashlee. Abusive, even. I encourage you to read them all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have to say, i too got pleasure out of watching miss ashlee melt down on SNL this weekend. today the excuse is that she has "acid reflux disease." see today's article on cnn for a little acid reflux of your own...

"Billboard magazine noted that Ashlee Simpson also responded to the controversy on her Web site. "I can't cancel something like 'SNL,' " Simpson is said to have written in a posting. "You and I know that even if I synched on it or not, I'd still get seen by millions, maybe even make a few more fans."

The message board has been overwhelmed by both Simpson defenders and Simpson antagonists, the latter often posting vicious and vulgar messages. One contributor referred to a Simpson interview in Lucky magazine in which the singer was asked about lip-synching. "I'm totally against it and offended by it," she said. "I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me."