Wednesday, October 06, 2004

The Respect He Deserves

I am sure I speak on behalf of my fellow Galley Slaves in offering respects to comedic legend Rodney Dangerfield, who passed away last night at age 82. A man who mastered the art of self-deprecation, Dangerfield will always be remembered for his famous line, "I get no respect." But let us not forget some of his other memorable zingers:

"Maybe you can help me straighten out my Longfellow."
Thornton Melon to an attractive poetry major in Back to School.

"I hear this place is restricted, Wang, so don't tell 'em you're Jewish."
Al Czervik to his Asian friend in Caddyshack.

"My doctor said, 'You're crazy.' I said I want a second opinion. He said, 'You're ugly too.'"
Rodney Dangerfield from any number of his stand-up routines.

The man will be missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I tell ya, I get no respect, no respect at all. I went into a bar and ordered a double ... the bartender brought out somebody who looked like me! No respect ..."

Good-bye to a prince of comedy.