Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I don't mean to cap on Jim Geraghty's sourcing--and again, I picked Bush by 8--but here he passes on the word from a "Middle Cheese" in Bush land who says, "There is total confidence that at the end of the night, Bush will win."

Really? Golly, I would never expect Bush, Rove, Hughes, et al. to be totally confident unless it was true, right? Ditto the "Closer than they'd have liked, but the president will win" line. Citing "confidence" from a candidate's team is meaningless. And anyone rooting for Bush who's taking succor from these anonymous reports is just begging to get burnt.

(Remember, George W. Bush hasn't made any mistakes in the last four years, either.)

I hope it doesn't look like I'm picking on Bush today, because it's not my intent. My point is that we don't know anything, and it's bad enough that blogland got twisted up over one set of anonymous, queer-looking numbers. People shouldn't make the same mistake twice by latching onto equally dubious counter-explanations.

Psssst . . . it's okay not to have all of the answers all of the time.

No comments: