Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Daniel Radcliffe the "Actor"?

In Slate, Dana Stevens has this to say about Daniel Radcliffe:

Radcliffe is a notoriously serious and hardworking actor—in his spare time between Potter movies, he's not clubbing with Lindsay Lohan but appearing as the tormented lead in the West End production of Equus. At times, that work ethic gets in his way . . .


Really? Maybe he is notoriously hardworking and serious and I just don't know about it. From what I can tell, since being cast as Harry Potter six years ago, he's appeared in a 30-minute episode of Extras, an independent film called December Boys and has been in two stage productions--as a special guest in The Play What I Wrote and as a lead in Equus. This is nothing to be ashamed of, but I don't know that it calls to mind a fellow obsessed with the work.

As for his extra-curriculars, it's overstating things, I think, to suggest that he's been the anti-Lohan. To wit:

'Harry Potter' star Daniel Radcliffe is happy to have sex with girls who are only interested in him because of his fame.

The 17-year-old actor insists he is too young to settle down and is keen to take advantage of any groupies he has.

He said: "Girls who want to go out with me just because I'm famous has never been a problem. I'm 17. I don't care.

"Obviously, if I wanted a deep and meaningful relationship then I wouldn't want to be going out with somebody who is only with me because I'm an actor, but if you don't a relationship like that then it's fine."

However, Daniel is adamant he wouldn't stay with a girl who called him Harry during sex.

He said: "People do call me Harry. I once had a friend call me it by accident. If there's another person in the room called Harry and somebody shouts their name I do respond slightly, which is embarrassing.

"But no one has ever said it in the throws of passion. That would be the end of that session. Go now!"

2 comments:

Dave S. said...

"Throws of passion"? Guess he likes it rough.

Michael said...

Was he an "Actor" when he was first cast as Harry Potter. I seem to remember they were looking for non-professional kids.

I seem to remember the movie reviews always made a mention of the kids being totally out of their depth.

Or am I confusing bad acting with inexperience?