Friday, July 15, 2005

Liveblogging Harry Potter

There's a whole list of things I've sworn would never take place on this blog--no tip jar, no "indeed," no rambling posts about my wife/boyfriend/pet parakeet, no "hat tip," no "MSM," no "blogiversaries," and, most definitely no liveblogging.

But I kind of can't resist. I've been at the Potomac Yard Barnes & Noble since 8:00 p.m., working, editing, and watching kids, parents, and other twentysomething nerds hanging out in anticipation of the new Harry Potter book. There's a trivia contest, a make-your-own-wand station, balloons, and good cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. My wife's sitting across from me reading Agatha Christie with her adorable Harry Potter glasses on and there's even a girl behind the Starbucks counter wearing a beautifully knitted wool scarf done up in the Gryffindor colors. Really, I don't see how life gets better.

Well, that wasn't so bad. My first liveblogging. I thought I'd feel dirty, but I don't feel dirty at all.

And you, what are you snickering at? Sure, I'm the dork at the Harry Potter party, but you're spending your Friday night reading the third-dumbest blog in Washington, so really, which one of us is sadder?

Update, 11:27 p.m.: All cynicism aside, the single most moving thing about the Harry Potter parties are the many, many families with hearing-impaired children milling around the store, signing to each other. I imagine that if you're a deaf kid you miss out on a lot of the silly pop culture moments, like movies and TV shows. To have a book which is an event like this is something hearing-impaired children can totally and completely own. It's a really wonderful thing to see.

7 comments:

WatchFires said...

Two questions:

(1) If this is the 3rd dumbest blog, which are #2 and #1?

(2) What's "rampling?"

Anonymous said...

Where's a picture of Shannon in her Potter glasses?! Eh?! Eh?!

--Rick Ankiel, St. Louis


Am I a Galley Friend no longer if I admit I've never read a word of Rowling?

--B.W.

Anonymous said...

You thought you'd feel dirty -- nice little "hat tip" to Wonderfalls, there, Last. : )

Anonymous said...

Well that was exciting. Now tell us about your boyfriend.

Anonymous said...

Chris:
I don't know what the 2nd dumbest blog is, but i know wonkette is the dumbest. everyone knows wonkette is the dumbest.

Anonymous said...

Your update redeems everything.

Anonymous said...

Hey JVL:
Still think Snape is the hero of the series?