Monday, October 17, 2005

Germany has a new leader, it's first woman and it's first chancellor from the former GDR. So why aren't Germans excited about all this? As I've elaborated in this week's Weekly Standard (yes, I am linking to myself), because Angela Merkel is presiding over a so-called Grand Coalition that includes her adversaries in the Social Democratic party, people are giving her at most two years before the whole thing collapses.

But at the very least we bid farewell to Gerhard Schröder, who recently told a group of trade unionists: "I do not want to name any catastrophes where you can see what happens if organized state action is absent. I could name countries, but the position I still hold forbids it. But everyone knows I mean America."

And zis is how ve say 'goodbye' in Germany, Dr. Jones...

3 comments:

Bill Baar said...

WW1, WW2, how are those for catastrophes a German state organized for the world.

Auf Weidersehen Herr Schroeder.

Anonymous said...

Don't you understand how unbelievably much JVL hates it when a blogger links to himself. Next thing you know, JVL will stop making fun of Instapundit and start making fun of Matus instead!


"I do not want to name any catastrophes where you can see what happens if organized state action is absent. I could name countries, but the position I still hold forbids it. But everyone knows I mean America."

Shoot, I thought he meant France, where 15,000+ died in the heat wave a couple of years ago. (I know, I know, every right wing blogger in the universe has done that joke.)

Anonymous said...

WWI, WWII, 15,000 dead in a heat wave...

....isn't that why pencils have erasers?

Mike