Monday, October 17, 2005

Of course I can't let this day go by without commenting on the biggest news from over the weekend. No, besides the vote in Iraq. No, not the impending indictment of Karl Rove. Yes, I am talking about the atrocity of the Redksins loss, 28-21, to the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrow Head.

Don't get me wrong--it's no easy thing to pull off a win at KC, one of the most raucous venues in the league. But what bothers me is the lack of forced turnovers. And the inexplicable benching of physically fit, three-time Pro Bowler LaVar Arrington. It's the question on everyone's minds. As Chiefs QB Trent Green said, "I thought, 'Okay, this is the week where they put [LaVar] in there.' Look, LaVar is a beast. He creates a lot of problems for an offense. I don't know exactly what's going on, and I don't know the reasons. But when I heard some of the comments coming out of Washington later in the week, I said, 'You know what, this isn't going to be the week.'" The Post's Michael Wilbon asked Green if he was relieved LaVar was out: "Oh yeah. It's not that [a quarterback] can ever relax, but it's nice to know he's not going to be breathing down my backside."

Wilbon goes on to quote a future Hall of Fame QB as saying, "[Arrington] and Sean Taylor are the guys that scare you, and if they want to sit him for whatever reason, every quarterback on their schedule will take that."

So what is the coaching staff's problem? Still bitter after those salary talks? If so, they better get over it or my prediction of a 7-9 season will start looking optimistic. Or is it something else? As one of my colleagues speculated, "Perhaps he has yet to accept Christ as his Lord and Savior?"

Time to start praying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, Vic, let me get this straight. You are offended by the mafia slam on the license plate, but not it remains open season on the Christians? Funny, but I thought this was a conservative (i.e. intelligent) blog

Anonymous said...

C'mon, he's joking. It is funny.
- JS

Victorino Matus said...

Dear MJ,

Before I get you and my fellow Christians upset, let me clarify:

1. Nobody knows for sure why LaVar isn't playing. But if it had anything to do with prayer, if I were LaVar, I'd start praying. A lot.

2. Gibbs and Brunell pray a lot. When I listened to the coach give a talk last spring, he spent the entire time talking about whether or not we accepted Christ as our Savior. I have! Now let's talk about a winning season!

3. I was just kidding!