Tuesday, October 11, 2005

God Loves a Cowgirl

Let it not be said that I don't face reality. From Galley Friend L.B.:
Let me stipulate that 1) I didn't see the game - have only read recaps and looked at stats; 2) Philly is still a better team than Dallas at this point and certainly has a better shot at winning it all this year; 3) McNabb is hurting, and every team has a bad/listless day occasionally...

Now, having said all that: this is the kind of win that says a franchise is on its way back to the top (though it may still take a while to get there). I think about the way Philly's offense has been putting up points lately and then I look at the stats from yesterday: *19* yards rushing for the Eagles? McNabb sacked 4 times? Only 5 catches for T.O. and no touchdowns?

And then on the other side of the ball: Drew Bledsoe is barely touched, and embarrasses the vaunted Eagles secondary? Our free-agent rookie running back (who, I'll grant, was a steal -- he's a real burner) racks up 75 yards rushing after Julius Jones tweaks his ankle? The Cowboys pick up 28 (!!) first downs to the Eagles' paltry 6, and dominate time of possession 40 minutes to 20?

That, my friend, was just an old-fashioned whippin', of the likes the Eagles have handed to the Cowboys all too often in recent years. Now I'm sure the Eagles will repay the favor back in Philly in a few weeks, but at least the Cowboys will be coming off their bye week going into that one. . . . If I were you, besides McNabb's health I'd be most worried about the Eagles' apparent lack of a running game. Westbrook is fantastic but he's not the type of RB who can put a team on his shoulders, grind out first downs and burn clock on long drives to take pressure off of McNabb.

Strong stuff, but I can take it. I know that the Birds will rebound and finish 12-4 before losing McNabb in the final game of the season and blowing it in the NFC championship game. Again.

Bonus insider note: I'm happy to take my licks from L.B. and Jenny, but if anyone else throws in a cheap shot, well, I won't ban you from comments, but I'll be very hurt. I haven't felt this delicate since the final days of Richie the K.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I haven't felt this delicate since the final days of Richie the K."

What?!!?

You are comparing one dismal performance by the best team in the NFC over the past 4 seasons to the l last season of Richie Kotite, history's greatest monster?

Get a grip man....

Mike

That Dude said...

Consider me on of the more sane Eagle fans who usually dont think the word is ending or we arwe winning the SB this week. That said....this team is in trboule this year. The only thing I am happy about? The Cowboys have already hit the high point. IT's all down hill from here.

Anonymous said...

As a Cowboys fan, I worry about posts like this. The Cowboys have been wildly inconsistent so far this year, and a huge win coming off an ugly loss hardly proves that the inconsistency is over (though it sure was fun!).

If we're sitting at 8-4 after Week 13, then I'll start believing Parcells has them over the hump. Until then, everyone needs to take things one week at a time. For example, by not getting ripped to shreds by Eli Manning and the Giants offense this week.

As far as the Eagles go, it definitely looks like something isn't right there so far this year. But y'all have an awful lot of the benefit of the doubt in your favor after the last few years. I certainly wouldn't bet against Reid and McNabb righting the ship.

Anonymous said...

As I was fond of hearing from WPVI Action News Sports, "there is unrest in the nest".

Anonymous said...

"but if anyone else throws in a cheap shot"

This blog EXISTS for cheap shots! I mean, you can cheap shot any number of rightwingers every day, but we can't cheap shot Igles fans just once after an embarrassing loss? Sheesh. Talk about dishing it out but not being able to take it...

Anonymous said...

And you know what else? I like cheap shots. I live for them. What kind of fascist, faux neocon are you, trying to BAN cheap shots on your sheesing blog? Even about SPORTS? Come to think of it, how DARE you even TALK about sports when there are so many important conservative issues that need to be addressed? It's like you don't even take the blogosphere seriously. I mean, SHEESH. SHEEEEESH I TELL YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

Well.

Go Pats!

(preparing to duck)

Anonymous said...

i hate the cowboys. the eagles - they're talented, but so old and busted these days. jump on the steeler bandwagon now. your terrible towel wants to be waving........