Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Thanks to the vigorous responses to my recent posting on Burger King's Zesty Onion Ring Sauce. One reader made the astute observation that it is quite similar to the tangy "Bloom Sauce" used in Outback Steakhouse's Bloomin' Onion. What is it they say about imitation?

I also do not want to give readers the false impression that I am anti-condiment. In fact, herewith, my top 3 favorite fast-food sauces:

1. Filet-O-Fish tartar sauce at McDonald's: In Catholic school, we used to call these sandwiches "Rubber on a Raft." If only they used the tartar sauce from McD's, we would say. And to this day, no sauce even comes close.

2. Big Mac secret sauce: No, it's not just a Thousand Islands. Some theorists speculate it has a bit more pickle relish and even French dressing roots.

3. Chicken McNuggets barbecue sauce: You want zesty? You want tangy? Go no further.

And finally, with regard to Galley Slave reader "Jimmie" who made mention of Shaquille O'Neal's dubious product endorsements, are you saying Kazaam was a bad movie?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vic,

A few others worth mentioning.

(a) McDonald's curry sauce in the UK. Fantastic on McNuggets. (Or it was in 1990 when I last at a London Mickey D's.)

(b) The marinara sauce that the BK Lounge used to have with their surprisingly good mozzarella sticks. Decent blend of flavors.

(c) The old Roy Rogers BBQ and "Horsey" sauces. Excellent complements to the best fast-food roast beef sandwich ever. Requiescat in pace.(d) All of the condiments at Culver's, America's best fast-food chain. You gotta check it out. Come up my way, and I'll buy.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I wanna say there's something at Wendy's that's really good. But I can't place it....

Bill Walsh