Thursday, December 15, 2005

Let 'er Rip

In case you missed it, today's front-page Wall Street Journal story on "revirgination" is not to be missed. (Apologies for not being able to link to it.) As it turns out, hymenoplasty is becoming an ever more popular procedure for women who want to experience that wonderful feeling of ...

As Jeanette Yarborough explained to WSJ's Amy Chozick, "It's the ultimate gift for the man who has everything." (And I thought my G4 Powerbook was great!) Esmerelda Vanegas runs a clinic where hymenoplasties take place. But why? "Ms. Vanegas says many of her patients risk disgracing their families if they're not virgins on their wedding night.... 'Losing your virginity is like losing a member of your family.'" (Really? I don't remember crying after I lost my ... oh wait a minute, I did.) Vanegas also says that, by undergoing hymenoplasty, "We can make it seem like nothing ever happened."

Another juicy excerpt: "[A] married mother of two says she's glad she had the surgery nonetheless. She says her husband wanted to experience intercourse with a virgin."

Now wait just one minute. Because a woman undergoes hymenoplasty doesn't exactly make her a virgin. Physically, yes. But in actuality? Only a time machine could do that.

It's a fascinating and quick read. I tore right through it. David Skinner says he wishes he broke the story.

Okay, just a few more tidbits: It turns out forms of hymenoplasty have been carried out for centuries. Chozick interviewed a director at the Kinsey Institute who said that "midwives used to disguise a broken hymen with a needle and thread, sometimes using membrane material from goa-

The author of this blog item has just fainted and is unable to finish this post.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll say what everyone else is thinking: Is this available to Andrew Sullivan?

Anonymous said...

"Because a woman undergoes hymenoplasty doesn't exactly make her a virgin. Physically, yes."

No. "Physically" and "actually" being a virgin are the same thing. Or do you think that a woman who has a broken hymen due to something other than intercourse is not a virgin?

Anonymous said...

Matus might be the pun king.

Anonymous said...

Virgins are best. One thing I hate is informed criticism.

jjv

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that a book by Leo Rosten, The Education Of Hymen Copulation?

Attila said...

I thought vaginal reconstruction took the cake, but this puts the cherry on top.

Anonymous said...

" Anonymous said...

"Because a woman undergoes hymenoplasty doesn't exactly make her a virgin. Physically, yes."

No. "Physically" and "actually" being a virgin are the same thing. Or do you think that a woman who has a broken hymen due to something other than intercourse is not a virgin?"

Yes, a woman who has a broken hymen due to something other than intercourse is still a virgin, but a woman with two kids who has her hymen restored is not a virgin in my book. Not to speak for Vic, but I think that's what he was talking about.
Vic, Thanks for brightening my day. This was too funny. I have to go now and clean up the Mountain Dew that just squirted out of my nose.

Dean
Mpls, MN

Anonymous said...

Aaaaack. AAAACCCKK!

Anonymous said...

I guess it's a question as to why the girl wants it done. I want to have it done so that when i get married, not only will my husband we happy, but I will too. I don't remember my "first time" because it was a rape and i was unconcious. My family and religion belive that a woman should give her virginty to her husband when consummating the marriage. never before. I wish I could do the same for my fiancee, and now, there's a way.