Monday, April 25, 2005

Jury Duty

Those of you who have the honor of residing in the District of Columbia know that every two years, like clockwork, your jury summons arrives in your mailbox. And those of you who have heeded that summons also know there is a good chance you will end up serving on a jury trial--due to a dwindling pool. So it came as no surprise this morning when four judges needed potential jurors, myself among them, and one of the judges needed at least 40 individuals. And sure enough, I have been chosen. We're told that serving on a jury is something you should do once in your life. This will be my second trial. After speaking to other jurors who have lived in the District for some time, I am expecting to serve on juries every other year for as long as I live here. Not to mention grand juries and appeals and whatever else they'll throw at me.

But rest assured, when the verdict is in, I'll be happy to share the details of this criminal trial with our readers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

having served on two juries, during two different sessions, i believe........
what happens in the jury deliberation room, stays in the jury deliberation room.

Anonymous said...

Hey Vic, I have a solution: move from DC to VA. It is a well known fact that VA is the greatest state in the union and perhaps the best place to live in the entire world. I've lived here since I turned 18 and I've never served on a jury. Lower taxes, safer neighborhoods, what is not to like?

Anonymous said...

You weren't exactly bitching so don't take this as a criticism, but I've never understood why people complain about jury duty. It's important, you get to sit down, and its not really possible to die of boredom. Its not like they're making you muck out septic tanks...

Anonymous said...

Regular jury duty is nothing like DC grand jury duty. I did a 26 day stint last summer (3 days a week for eight weeks plus two recall days). I did learn a lot about drugs and the gun laws, and about parks near Dupont Circle where (well I'll spare you).

I also got to know 22 other DC residents' views on all of the above.