Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The Artist's Dilemma

My favorite singer-songwriter, Billy Cerveny, has a funny, true observation:

Sitting here working on songs for my new record, I was struck by a thought:

If I were to die today and go to heaven, God would give me a golden guitar and tell me that I get to sit in the corner and write songs for the rest of eternity.

But,

If I were to die today and go to hell, the devil would give me the same golden guitar and tell me that I had to sit in the corner and write songs for the rest of eternity.

P.S. Billy, when's the new albumn coming out? I'm thirsting for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the thought is fraught with deep artistic meaning; too bad it lacks anything resembling sense. But, at least we have your assurance that its "true"?

Anonymous said...

JVL: Perhaps you can pass the time by listening to Dwight's new CD, Blame the Vain.

There are 3-4 excellent songs, and the rest are above average at least.

Highly recommended.

Jason O.