Wednesday, November 09, 2005

It's a Doberman, Let It Have Its Ears

Nan Aron seems pretty cavalier about what sounds an awful lot to me like animal neglect, if not cruelty:
Nan Aron lost the fish this summer.

Aron, the founder of the Alliance for Justice, one of the liberal armies in the war over the judiciary, has lived in her Woodley Park rowhouse for 30 years. There's a small brick pond in the front yard and, much to the delight of the neighborhood children, she filled it with fish over the summer, about 20 goldfish and koi. But summer was also the start of a season of high-stakes judicial battles.

While Aron and her allies were working long hours trying to defeat the confirmation of now Chief Justice John Roberts Jr., her fish disappeared.

"The problem was I was responsible for the fish," Aron says with a bit of self-deprecating humor. "My one responsibility at home was to feed the fish, talk to the fish and protect their safety, and I'd come home and start counting" and realize that there was trouble.

The casualties of war. But when you come from a family of social activists, you can look into an empty pond and find the positive.

"We'll start again next year and hopefully I'll be a little more attentive," Aron says.

Where's PETA when you need them?

Bonus: Alternate headline, "You're going to be covered in red paint. That'll distract the eye."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did this.

I'm the one who gave the goldfish and koi a taste for mammal blood and then released them into the sea.

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps it was a loose seal ...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jonathan, are you really filtering your posts just so you can tinker around with Arrested Development titles?

I mean, grow up. There are major issues out there that Galley Slaves needs to address! Don't let your voice go unheard!!! IT WAS CONSERVATIVES LIKE YOU WHO LOST US NEW JERSEY!!!

EVEN IF HE'S PUTTING ON WEIGHT, I'LL SUCK IT UP AND TAKE A CHUBBY LIKE ARNOLD ANY TIME!!!

Anonymous said...

I get it now. I get the whole headline thing. I wonder if anyone else gets it yet? You're funny, Last.

Anonymous said...

It's not a trick, Michael. It's an illusion. Tricks are what whores do for money. Or candy!

Anonymous said...

Illusions, Dad! You don't have time for my illusions!!