Thursday, March 03, 2005

Getting Your "Mrs." Degree, 2005 Edition

Check out this article, from the Smith Sophian, titled Smith Alums Marry, Start a Family:
Alexa Fletcher '02 candidly expressed her reason for choosing Smith College.

"It had always been my dream to find a wife at Smith and start a family," she said.

Lena Fletcher '99, her wife of about a year, did not share this sentiment. While at Smith, she had played rugby, and at the time they met, had no intention of settling down anytime soon. But as luck would have it, in Alexa's first semester at Smith, she decided to go to a rugby party. Lena, who had just begun her senior year, was a little hesitant about the relationship at first.

"One of the first things I had heard about her through the rumor mill was, of course, her dream of finding a wife," Lena said. "When I heard that, I thought that she wasn't for me. And it turned out she was." . . .


The kicker is an ubelievable bit of self-parody:
In terms of the legality of their marriage outside of Massachusetts, they added that they avoid leaving Massachusetts together. Even though they say they could not be happier, Lena sometimes wonders if it had not been for Massachusetts taking that first step toward legalizing gay marriage, then maybe gay marriage would not have been such a hot topic during the 2004 presidential race--and perhaps President Bush would not have been re-elected.

I mean, that's how the piece ends. I would say more, but I don't want to offend David Skinner by accident. You know how he is.

No comments: